My SewSix 2019

Happy New Year! Its that time once again where we reflect on what we want from the coming year and possibly set some “resolutions” if that's what you are into. Personally I like to think of them more as goals since I am bound to fall off the wagon at some point or another and I don't want to set myself for failure! This year I want to read more, travel more, drink less alcohol (see what I am saying about possibly falling off the wagon?), start a blog (check!), among other things.
When it comes to sewing I am terrible with planning. I tend to sew on a whim when I find the perfect fabric or pattern and usually just wing it! Last year I decided to take part my first go at the instagram challenge MakeNine where you pick 9 sewing patterns that you plan to create in the next 12 months. I started out strong but lost my steam by June finishing number 6 and put the rest on the back burner. I enjoyed the challenge and watching others participate & had planned on doing it again this year. That is until Ella from @sewistella created Sew Six.
The idea behind Sew Six is to use what is already in your stash, whether it be sewing patterns, fabric you have been waiting to use or perhaps a project you have been meaning to do. I managed to make 6 of my goals last year so this seemed like a good number for this year too!
Here is my lineup for the SewSix
1.
The Ash jeans by Megan Nielsen. Jeans have been both a major goal and a fear of mine & I am finally going to conquer them this year! When this pattern was released I knew it would be “the one” - with so many different options I think I should be set for life!
2.
The Peppermint Button up dress. The moment I saw this pattern it went directly on to my to-sew list. I absolutely love the shaping from the princess seams and feel it could be styled in so many ways, all throughout the year!
3.
Vintage pattern by Style 1130. This pattern was gifted to me by Jenny of @jennystitched and I am leaning towards version 3 with the adorable button straps. Not sure what fabric it will be, but I do have a vintage bed sheet with some kind of wheat field print which could be gorgeous.
4.
Simplicity S0682 Kimono. This is a bit of a wildcard that I picked while digging through my stash. I've owned it for years and since I have nothing like it in my wardrobe I figure this will be the perfect time! Now comes the hard part... a solid neutral or a crazy loud print?
5.
Vintage Butterick 4687. How could I resist this gem at the thrift shop for 25 cents? “Denim: A Smash Hit!” 🤣 too good to pass up! This pattern literally has it all: a button up top with collar, 2 jersey shirts, a button up skirt, shorts and briefs.. yes, elasticated briefs. Lets be real, I want to make all of them, well maybe not the undies, but I think I will start with the skirt. My friend Victoria wants to make the collection too so I will be tracing all the pieces before sending the pattern off to her next! Hopefully we can have a cross country blog post modeling our matching makes 😍🎾
6.
I bought this lovely vintage swimsuit on etsy a few years ago – deadstock from Paris, ooh la la! Nevermind it being 40 years old I assumed since it was never worn it would be like new. The very first time I wore it we spent the day at an amusement/water park. After the very first ride all of the years caught up to the sad elastic and they all gave up the ghost. Here I am, 4 hours away from home stuck in a swimsuit now big enough to fit 2 of me. Trust me, it was NOT fun. Now why is it on my SewSix? I started to seam rip all of the old elastic out so that I could replace it and of course got sidetracked so it has been sitting half destroyed ever since. I will finish ripping the rotten out and replace it so I can wear it this summer!

I am super excited to share with you my plans and would love to hear what you all are hoping to sew this coming year! Are you a planner or play it by ear? If you would like to learn more about the SewSix challenge head over to Sewistella's Blog 
 Happy sewing,
~Kipp! 

Comments

Popular Posts